Weddings and Baptisms

Chapel closure

The chapel is closed for an extensive programme of renovation. It is expected to reopen in April 2016. Enquiries may still be made now about holding a wedding or baptism after April 2016.


Wedding services can be conducted in the college chapel according to the rites of the Church of England for Current or Old Members of the college. As the chapel is not a parish church these weddings require an Archbishop’s Special License. The chaplain has the necessary forms and can explain the application process. The application process takes time, so it is advisable to begin as soon as a date has been agreed by the college and chaplain.

The registers for the wedding service are provided by St Mary Magdalen Church, to which a fee is payable.  Timings of weddings depend on the availability of the registers which are used by a number of college chapels. Dates for Weddings need to be agreed with the chaplain and the Conference and Functions Administrator.

If the couple wish the service or part of the service to be conducted by a Church of England priest other than the chaplain, that priest must write to the chaplain before the licence is applied for.

The chapel is not in legal terms an ecumenical chapel so it is not possible to have wedding services according to the rites of denominations other than the Church of England.  It is possible to have a service of blessing after a civil marriage according to the rites of another denomination. This would need to be discussed and agreed with the chaplain.

 weddings and baptisms -page 1


Parents are encouraged to have their children baptised in a local church where the family can become regularly involved.  However, we know that sometimes families are not permanently settled and wish to have a service in a place that they feel a deep connection to. Baptisms of current member’s children can take place in the chapel and we occasionally hold services of baptism for the children of Old Members.  Please contact the chaplain for more information.