I first came to Trinity College as an undergraduate Materials Science student, staying on to complete a DPhil in ‘High Temperature Superconductivity’ in 2003. I was awarded a Royal Academy of Engineering Research Fellowship in 2005, which I undertook part time in the Department of Materials. I have recently taken up a permanent academic post in the same Department. I lead a research group specialising in superconducting materials and co-direct the new Centre for Applied Superconductivity.
I have tutored Materials Science undergraduates since starting my DPhil studies in 2000, firstly at Trinity College and then as a stipendiary lecturer at St Catherine’s College. I mainly teach topics relating to electronic properties of materials and phase transformations. In the Department of Materials I currently lecture the first-year “Electricity and Magnetism” course and a third-year options course on “Superconducting Materials”, as well as running an annual workshop on tutorial teaching.
My research group specialises in understanding relationships between processing, microstructure and properties in a wide range of superconducting materials. We have recently obtained Local Enterprise Partnership funding for a new Centre for Applied Superconductivity, based in the University of Oxford, for carrying out pre-competitive research with local industrial partners such as Oxford Instruments, Siemens Magnet Technology, Tokamak Energy and RAL. In addition to my interests in applied superconductivity, I also work on understanding the fundamental properties of novel superconductors, such as Fe-pnictides and chalcogenides, using advanced electron microscopy and synchrotron-based photoemission microscopy techniques to assess chemical and structural uniformity in these complex materials.
• Brittles, GD; Mousavi, T; Grovenor, CRM; Aksoy, C; Speller, SC. ‘Persistent current joints between technological superconductors’, Superconduct. Sci. Technol. 28(9) 093001 (2015).
• Mousavi, T; Grovenor, C; Speller, S. ‘Characterization of superconducting Fey(Se1-xTex) thin films deposited on MgO substrates by sputtering’, J. Mater. Sci. 50-6970-6978 (2015)
• Brittles, GD; Grovenor, CRM; Noonan, P; Keys, S; Speller, SC. ‘Rapid characterisation of persistent current joints by SQUID magnetometry’, Superconductor Science and Technology, 27(12) 122002 (2014)
• Speller, SC; Dudin, P; Fitzgerald, S; Hughes, GM; Kruska, K; Britton, TB; Krzton-Maziopa, A; Pomjakushina, E; Conder, K; Barinov, A; Grovenor, CRM, ‘High resolution characterisation of microstructural evolution in RbxFe2-ySe2 crystals on annealing’, PRB 90 024520 (2014)
• Mousavi, T; Grovenor, CRM; Speller, SC, ‘Structural parameters affecting superconductivity in iron chalcogenides: review’, Materials Science and Technology 30(15) 1929 (2014)