My first degree was in electronic engineering at University College London. I continued at UCL to complete a PhD in physical electronics and then worked at the GEC Research Laboratory in North Wembley conducting research into optical methods for characterisation of semiconductor materials. In 1988 I arrived in Oxford as a lecturer and Fellow of Trinity College. I have had sabbaticals at research laboratories in Japan, Sweden and USA.
My tutorial teaching at Trinity covers all the electrical engineering topics and part of the mathematics syllabus. These tutorials are given in small sizes of two or three students. I also give tutorials on the Engineering in Society topics which benefits from having larger group sizes of up to six students. As Trinity’s senior engineering tutor, I organise the tutorial timetable. In the Department of Engineering Science, I give lecture courses on electronics and help run undergraduate practical sessions.
My research interests are divided between two themes. Most recently I have been working on projects in biomedical engineering exploring novel devices for the detection of disease. These devices use a combination of specially sensitised magnetic particles, microfluidic structures and optics. The second theme is optical engineering. I have been working with industrial partners to improve optical sensor technology for analysing low levels of scattered light from within turbid water, a non-contacting method for determining water purity. Previously I have worked on nanoparticle technology for architectural and solar control glass, computer generated holography, surface emitting laser diodes and integrated optics.
- Grob D.T., Wise N, Oduwole O, Sheard S (2018), Magnetic susceptibility characterisation of superparamagnetic microspheres, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Volume 452, pp. 134-140
- Oduwole O, Sheard S (2017), Three-dimensional mathematical modelling of magnetic bead interactions within a magnetic separation system, Applied Mathematical Modelling, Volume 45, pp.123-133
- Kwon B.H, Kim H.H., Park J.H., Yoon D.H., Kim M.C., Sheard S.J., Morten K., Go J.S. (2013) Separation of Different Sized Nanoparticles with Time Using a Rotational Flow, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 52, 6 pages.
- Martyn S.V., Heywood H.K., Rockett P., Paine M.D., Wang M.J., Dobson P.J., Sheard S.J., Lee D.A., Stark J.P. (2011) Electrospray deposited fibronectin retains the ability to promote cell adhesion, J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater, 96(1), pp. 110-8.
- Dai, D., Sheard, S., O’Brien, D., Russell, S., Carswell, L. (2013), Propagation and Scattering model of Infrared and Ultraviolet light in Turbid Water, 22nd Wireless and Optical Communications Conference, May 16-18, Chongqing, China.