See my blog about public opinion and election results and forecasting at electionsetc.com.
I studied PPE as an undergraduate at New College, Oxford. I then took a Masters in Social Statistics at Southampton University, before returning to Oxford for a doctorate in politics. I held post-doctoral appointments in Leuven, Belgium and Nuffield College Oxford. Since 2002, I have been Fellow and Tutor in Politics at Trinity.
For the Politics components of both PPE and History and Politics, I teach the Political Institutions for the first year course, and optional courses in Political Sociology and Quantitative Methods for the second and third years respectively. One of my responsibilities is to ensure that Trinity College has Lecturers in Political Theory and International Relations, and we have excellent connections with other colleges to make sure our students are taught by expert tutors for whatever topics in politics they choose to study.
My research focuses on political attitudes and behavior, especially on elections and voting in Britain and elsewhere.
- A.F. Heath, S.D. Fisher, G. Rosenblatt, D. Sanders, M. Sobolewska The Political Integration of Ethnic Minorities in Britain (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2013). OUP link here.
- S.D. Fisher, A.F. Heath, D. Sanders and M. Sobolewska, ‘Candidate Ethnicity and Vote Choice in Britain’, British Journal of Political Science (2014).
- J.L. Marshall and S.D. Fisher ‘Compensation or Constraint? How different dimensions of economic globalization affect government spending and electoral turnout.’ British Journal of Political Science (2014). PDF here. Gated version here.
- C. Wlezien, W. Jennings, S.D. Fisher, R. Ford, M. Pickup. ‘Polls and the vote in Britain’, Political Studies (2013)61(S1), 66-91. PDF here.
- J. Curtice, S.D. Fisher and J. Kuha ‘Confounding the Commentators: How the 2010 exit poll got it (more or less) right’, Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties. (2011) 21(2), 211-235.
- S.D. Fisher, R. Ford, W. Jennings, M. Pickup and C. Wlezien ‘From polls to votes to seats: Forecasting the 2010 British General Election’, Electoral Studies (2011) 30(2), 250-257. doi:10.1016/j.electstud.2010.09.005.
- S.D. Fisher, Hobolt, S.B. ‘Coalition government and electoral accountability’, Electoral Studies (2010). doi:10.1016/j.electstud.2010.03.003.
- S.D. Fisher, L. Lessard-Phillips, S. B. Hobolt, J. Curtice ‘Disengaging voters: Do plurality systems discourage the less knowledgeable from voting?’ Electoral Studies (2008) 27(1) 89-104. doi:10.1016/j.electstud.2007.11.001
- A.S. Heath, S.D. Fisher and S. Smith ‘The Globalization of Public Opinion Research’, Annual Review of Political Science (2005) 8, 297-334.
- S.D. Fisher, ‘Definition and Measurement of Tactical Voting: the role of rational choice’, British Journal of Political Science, (2004) 34, 152-166.