A new war memorial board, commemorating the five German and Austrian members of Trinity who fell in the First World War, has been unveiled.
The new board hangs inside the college’s undergraduate library – built in 1928 as a war memorial to the dead of the First World War – and was unveiled by Antonia Coleman (1980), an Old Member of Trinity and great-niece of one of those commemorated. The Austrian Ambassador, Dr Martin Eichtinger, and the Chargé d’Affaires of the German Embassy, Tania von Uslar-Gleichen, representing the German Ambassador, attended the event and joined the President and Bryan Ward-Perkins, Fellow Archivist, in making speeches. Among the Fellows, staff, students and Old Members who attended, was Angus Fowler (1964), who had carried out the research needed to find out the fate of Trinity’s German and Austro-Hungarian members who might have gone on to fight in the War.
The unveiling ceremony, which included speeches and a minute’s silence, was followed by a reception in the President’s garden and a lunch in Hall.
A video recording of the ceremony has been produced, which is available to watch below and can also be found on Youtube.