Trinity College's administrative archives date from the foundation of the college in 1555. Statutes and charters and annual accounts are in Latin until 1733. Trinity holds various documents relating to its estates, including court rolls and some maps. A series of Order Books (Governing Body minutes) begins in the early Eighteenth Century.
Biographical Research into Former Members
Elections of Fellows and Scholars of Trinity College are recorded in the College Registers. Undergraduates wrote an entry in their own hand in the Admissions Book from 1648: this records place of birth, age, and father. From the late nineteenth century it includes date of birth and education; from the late twentieth century, details of mother. From 1899 annual photographs of the whole College are available.
The College holds the literary papers of Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch (1863-1944). The College also has a large collection of twentieth-century undergraduate ephemera, including photographs, diaries, memoirs, letters, lecture notes, term cards and programmes.
Pictures and Prints
Trinity College has prints of the buildings from 1675, and of members from 1889. Building plans are also held. Portraits exist of former Presidents, some Fellows and some former members.
Using the Archive
Enquiries are accepted only by post.
Please send research enquiries to:The Archive