The Earliest Buildings of Trinity College

No new buildings were erected in 1555, for Thomas Pope had purchased the site and buildings of an earlier monastic foundation, Durham College, which from 1286 until 1545 had provided a place of study in Oxford for a small number of monks from the Benedictine Cathedral Church at Durham. These buildings comprised a single quadrangle which provided hall, chapel, library and rooms. One surviving building of Durham College is Trinity’s Old Library, which was completed in 1421. The name Trinity is thought to echo the original dedication of Durham College: to the Trinity, the Virgin and St Cuthbert.

 

Bereblock

The Durham Quadrangle, drawn by John Bereblock in 1566.

 

More History